Happy New Years!

I just wanted to wish everyone a VERY Happy New Year! I spent the Christmas Holidays at home in Victoria and just returned home the other day! I have been dying to post some pictures but I realised I had forgot my camera cord to upload photos to my laptop back here in Edmonton. So at last here are a few. My sister Jessica, her boyfriend Ian and I all helped my Mom to install some flooring in her home over Christmas and my sister accidentally knocked over one of my Mom's china cabinets smashing the glass in the doors and all its contents. My Mom took it pretty well actually which surprised me. So I offered to paint and distress it and add some chicken wire to the doors and sides to give it an old country kitchen feel! Here is the before picture of my Moms broken cabinet:



And here is the after~

I was on really limited reasources so the chicken wire was the biggest splurge at $19 for a pretty big roll, there was PLENTY to spare.

I used some left over white paint my Mom had kicking around the house and a grey primer so it would look even more aged when I distressed it!



Then I just had a ton o'fun playing around with all my Grandma's antiques! I was so surprised to see that she had this mirror which is the EXACT one (the frame) which Holly and I found at the antique mall here in Edmonton! (same one I painted and put on my staircase wall)

Here are Jessica and I at Christmas dinner! It was so nice to be able to spend Christmas with family! We had a blast playing a bunch of fun games my Mom had planned for dinner.


We had a fun New Years too, we had a fondue night at my Dad and Leah's and then played Rockband until midnight!
While on the topic of New Years, one of my resolutions is to do more bog posts lol!

15 comments:

Suzie said...

Fantastic Job! Love, Love, Love!

Dayka Robinson said...

So sad for your mom, but the cabinet looks GREAT! Hopefully your mom loves it more than her old one, so maybe this can be a "happy accident". That must suck to have everything broken in the cabinet, though . . .

Glad to hear you had a great holiday, and the photo of you and your sis is so cute!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!!! The cabinet looks fab, and you and Jessica are even cuter!! I am so glad you made it home to enjoy some family time during the holidays. Can't wait to see you soon (I am off to email you now!).

DustyLu said...

Wow what a transformation! Great job. Love doing things for mom! Great vignette too. lulu

Deb said...

Love the cabinet! You did a great job.

dedeetsyshop said...

WoW! It looks amazing! Such great lines- I love how white really shows off furnitures shape! Great job!

Amanda said...

Rebecca! I've missed you beautiful lady! I'd say your ma was lucky your sister smashed her china cabinet... that little beauty looks AMAZING with your touch put to it. Seriously, wow.

I am off to reply to your much anticipated email... I was starting to worry about you lady. :)

Looking forward to more blog posts. And I'm serious, if the rest of us (and by "rest of us" I mean me) are skipping dessert after dinner as a new year's resolution then you better not let us (me) down. Post away. ;)

Annie said...

The china cabinet redo is fabulous! It sounds like you had a really great holiday season with your family! Can't wait to read more in 2010 :)

Unknown said...

That cabinet looks stunning. Love the addition of the chicken wire. Nice job!

Jessica said...

You did a great job!! So breaking that cabinet was actually a blessing?? haha

It was so nice to spend the holidays with you. See you on Friday!
Xox

MrsKBJ said...

Happy new year! Gosh, I love that cabinet! I want to use chicken wire on something now! LOL! I am glad you got to spendvthe holidays with family! I hope your husband is doing well! How long is his deployment?

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Rebecca, this piece is stunning! I wanted to let you know I gave you a shout out on my most recent post, I put up a Capiz pendant in my new 'dressing room' and had to give my readers some other great inspiration pics! Hope you don't mind :)

http://www.russetstreetreno.com/2010/01/replacing-sad-light-fixture.html

roseroomnz.com said...

think that was a blessing in disguise, it looks fantastic now! Rachaelxo

monique said...

i just came across your blog, and its beautiful! you are very talented and have a great eye..thanks for sharing and i'm praying for you and your hubby!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The white paint and chicken wire really transformed the cabinet into something beautiful. I also love how you aged it. Very pretty!